Monday, August 9, 2010

CRAZY NINE PATCH PICNIC

Well the weather here has cooled off a little. And the rains are coming down so what else can a girl to do but sew.

A good friend of mine brought me back a number of supplies this past spring when she returned home from Florida.

Now she hasn't sewn for some time, but she sure new how to pick out scrumptious material for her picnic quilt.. She had been to Rainbows End. If any of you gals have not been there check out their site. Oh I ooooed and aaaaaawed when I looked at all they had to offer.


Well this past week we got together and cut and sewed and cut and sewed. You get the picture.

This pattern was from one of Fons and Porter mags. dated 2002.


We did not have time last Wednesday to complete is so My Good Friend came to my house today so that we could sew. Just as I thought down came the rain and it was a perfect day and perfect company to have a sew along.

Instead of incasing the fabric like a pillow case we added muslin for batting and added on our own binding. We did meandering quilting and then finished it off with checkerboard trim to match the backing. We had a great day and great friendship.


With the leftover fabric I cut 6 1/2 " squares and then I made half square triangles .

I pieced together three accross and two down . Added my batting and backing and just quilted down in the fabric at random. I used white fabric on hand for the binding.

I was able to make four placemats to match My Good Friends picnic quilt. I should have them finished for the car club tomorrow night. They will be a sweet addition to the quilt. I can't wait to see how it looks on her table down in Florida.


Thanks for the fun time sewing. Its great when friends get together. till next time

Linda

8 comments:

  1. What a fabulous way to spend the day and with such a good result for all your efforts. It's a super quilt! ann...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sew much for all your help!!!!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful picnic quilt! The place mats will go great too! Now please send us some of your rain...;-)
    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty picnic quilt! I love the colours.

    I'm a new follower to your blog. I love finding another Ontario blogger, especially one who quilts. I'm a novice quilter (for the past 15 years lol) and have enjoyed reading many of your posts. Hope you can stop by sometime. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did she go in FL and where is Rainbows End? Your projects are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable and what a good friend to get you that fabric. Sewing with friends is always a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun fabrics. I enlarged the picture so I could get a better view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, my dear friend. Thank you for sharing.
    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete